Thursday, December 18, 2008

To Train or Not to Train? That is the question...

Ok so after our pediatritian strongly reccomended we begin potty training Logan, I went out and got the potty and our first day was ok. He cried and cried at first but then if I distracted him he was fine and he peed twice- once was just a coincidence and once he went into the bathroom by himself and when I put him on the potty he peed. So I figured this was a good start. Well yesterday and today whenever we ask him if he has to go potty he shakes his head no and runs away. When we put him on the potty he cries and cries. So I moved the potty into the living room and he has been putting his stuffed animals on it and pretending that they go and clap but he refuses to get on it himself. I don't want to traumatize him with the potty but I don't want to give up either. I was reading online and alot of the stuff said that in the US most parents wait until 2 1/2 to start potty training but that in Europe most kids are potty trained by 18 months. So I know that at the age of 19 months it is possible for a kid to be potty trained. I know that it won't be easy and I expect a lot of accidents but I did not expect Logan to scream and cry whenever he sits on the potty. We were even rewarding him with candy when he sat on the potty and he could care less (and he LOVES candy because we never let him have it). So I don't know what to do. I am not trying to force him and we are trying to keep it "no pressure". Any advice?

2 comments:

Addyson and Abigail said...

I am waiting until 2. I have read a lot on it and our kiddos are developmentally ready yet. BabyCenter.com has a check list and they really suggest waiting. If we start know it would take so much longer and it is just for the parents. So hold off until 2 that is what my Dr said too. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Don't stress over it Vanessa. They all learn eventually and in their own time. I'd keep it low key, low pressure or else it will backfire. Just keep him familiar with the potty and I think the role playing is a good idea with his stuffed animals. Eventually, he will want to do it too. Childhood shouldn't be a race to see who can do what first. My advice is to keep the option open for him, keep it positive and fun, and no pressure. Enjoy every baby moment for whatever it is....they grow up too fast! Maybe in a few more months, he will be ready on his own time. Also, some kids like the little pottys because they feel safer on ground level but then other kids enjoy the grown up potty with just a potty seat on it to be just like mom and dad. See what works for Logan. Another fun thing is to have him try to pee on the "target"...cheerios in the toilet! Ha ha!
Love ya, Deb