Thursday, February 9, 2012

I am different...


I have come to realize that as a mom, I am very different. I believe in baby wearing. I follow an alternative vaccination schedule. I try natural remedies before turning to traditional medicine. I believe in breastfeeding and doing so until my baby is ready to wean, not just because they turned a year...in fact Aila was almost 2 when she decided to wean. I am about to have 4 kids (2 more than the average american) and I can't say that I am DONE having kids. I start potty training my kids really early amongst mothers who say to wait until they are 3. I am ok with letting my kids eat things that fell on the floor. I will be homeschooling in a society that looks at homeschool kids as sheltered and antisocial. I believe in disciplining according to the bible.

But all of these things are right for me. I am not saying they are right for everyone. I hate that people, especially other moms, feel like they have to defend their choices because mine are different. "Well I bottle fed because I couldn't make enough milk." "I could never homeschool. I don't have the patience." It is almost as if that by being different they feel I am telling them their choices are wrong and that mine are better.

Sometimes I wish people would realize that God made us all differently. We are not all made from the same cookie cutter. Instead, we are more like unique pieces of a very beautiful puzzle. Not only is it OK to be different...it is good to be different!

Ephesians 4:11 says "So Christ himself called some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and some teachers"

God has given us all unique gifts. All of our gifts compliment eachother. Our strengths cover others' weaknesses and their strengths make up for ours.

You see it is all part of God's plan:
Ephesians 4:16 "From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work."

So today I am accepting the fact that I am different. That is, afterall, how God made me : )

No comments: