Saturday, July 11, 2009

Encouragement For Stay at Home Moms

I have now been a SAHM (stay at home mom) for 2 years and I love every second of it. Yet it has taken me 2 years to get used to people's reaction when they ask, "What do you do for a living?" and I respond, "I stay at home with my children." It seems that us SAHMs have to battle some sort of social stereotype that we are lazy or stupid or a combination of both. Some people will even flat out say that I am wasting my college education! I am all for this surge of feminist progress but I believe that part of this progress should be that a woman has the right to decide for herself what is best for her family. For our family, me staying at home is what is best. I am not trying to slight any of you moms who work. This is simply to encourage my fellow SAHMs...

Here are some of the benefits I have thought of being a SAHM:

1. The number 1 reason is of course you are dedicating all of your time to your children! You have an unbelievable opportunity to constantly bond with your kids and because of this they are able to feel safe and secure in a stable environment which fosters social development and intellectual growth.

2. You can be there for every single milestone! You can see the first step and hear the first word! What better reward is there than that?

3. You will know your child better than anyone else. Even Doug will admit that he does not know Logan and Aila as well as I do.

4. You can decide exactly how you want your children raised. You can instill your children with the morals that are important to you. It's an example of "if you want it done right, do it yourself".

5. You have flexibility! You don't have a limited amount of time to schedule activities. You can plan play dates, go to the zoo, go the park without having to squeeze it into a busy schedule.

There are so many more, but instead of writing I am going to go play with my kids since they just woke up! I am so blessed to be able to stay home with my kids!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a GREAT mom! ;)
Love, Deb