Thursday, April 14, 2011

In AZ for the Funeral

We came home immediately from the beach and began trying to figure out how to fly to AZ to help my mom and be there for my dad's funeral. We began pricing airline tickets and even with the berievement discounts there was no way we could even afford 1 plane ticket. So we posted on facebook to see if anyone could help and in a matter of minutes we had been blessed! Thank you so much H family for helping my fly out! I got to AZ Sunday night and stayed there 10 days. Then later in the week we were blessed again by someone anonymous from our church who got Doug a ticket. It was great to have him by my side at the funeral because it was such a rough day for me. I think the service for my dad turned out beautiful. I spent hours putting a dvd together of great memories of my dad and I read a little eulogy at the service. This is what I wrote for my dad's eulogy:

It was no secret that I was a daddy’s girl. My dad and I just got each other. I think when God made me, he used the same mold he used to make my father and changed it to female. I have his fire and spunk, I have his tender heart and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

My dad was my hero. He was always there for me. He never missed a single one of my dance recitals and he sat in the front row for all of my plays. There was never a day that I doubted his love for me.

He taught me the value of a good education and the importance of working hard and never giving up until I achieved my goals. He himself worked hard to provide the best life possible for our family.

He worked hard in life but he also knew how to play hard. The best memories I have of my dad are our family vacations. My dad really missed his calling to be a travel agent. He was always looking forward to our next vacation. We had so many good times and sometimes we’d laugh so hard we’d cry.

Many of you know that my dad had alzheimer’s. It was so difficult to watch this disease transform my dad into a shadow of the man that he was. Because of this, his death is bitter sweet. I will miss him terribly, but I am relieved to know that my dad is finally at peace and is no longer suffering.

I know that not a day will go by that I won’t miss him. I will miss his radiant smile, contagious laughter, and silly jokes. But more than that I will miss the moments of silence, just sitting on the swing in our backyard, watching the sunsets with my dad and just knowing in those quiet moments that all was right with the world.

Looking out I see many family and friends. It is such a healing gift to be surrounded by your love for my father. Thank you for coming and showing my family and me that my father holds a special place in your heart. Your friendship allows us to know that my father will be nearby because of the memories stored within you and that means the world to us.

If my dad were here today he’d probably tell us not to take life for granted, never miss a chance to tell someone you love them and to never give up on your dreams. So let’s honor his memory by doing just that.

Goodbye daddy. I love you.

Doug and me before the service:

Our friend Roxanne came to visit with her boys the day before the funeral. Her boys have gotten so big now:

I fell asleep with Levi outside on the swing while we were waiting for Roxanne to come:

No comments: