Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Surrender, Trust, Obey

God always has something to teach me. If you know me at all, you know that God has changed me alot...but you also know that I still have a LONG WAY TO GO. Every day is a battle between following my flesh and surrendering to the Spirit. I have some pretty big hurdles that God is working on in me right now. I am stubborn. I like to be in control. I am selfish.

 God has been showing me that I am NOT in control. I have no say over the weather. I can't MAKE my kids be good. There is so much beyond my control. God has shown me that I need to surrender to Him. His will needs to become my will. My life should not be about what I want. It should be about pleasing HIM. My Maker. My Father. My Comfortor. My Strength. My Provider. My Everything.

Jeremiah 10:23 "I know, O Lord, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps." I need to surrender to the Lord. He is the one in control. Not me.

God has also been showing me that I don't really trust Him. I think I know better than Him. I think I know what I need (but really it is just what I want).

Proverbs 3:5 “Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding.”

Job 13:15 “Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.”

I need to really trust that He knows what is best for me...even if it doesn't make sense...ESPECIALLY when it doesn't make sense.

Finally, God has been convicting me about being obedient. I am constantly talking to my kids about obedience and how important it is for them to listen to me. I tell them things for their own good. I tell them things to protect them. When they disobey it hurts me. I had a realization the other day. God is the same way. He tells us things so that we may have life to the fullest. I also realized that when I disobey God, I hurt Him.

Samuel 15:22 And Samuel said, “Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to listen than the fat of rams.

John 15:14 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.”

Every day I am faced with choices. Will I let my emotions get the better of me? Will I wallow in my discont? Or will I choose an attitude of gratitude. Will I live for others rather than myself? Will I choose to love the person that cuts me off when I am driving? Will I show love instead of frustration when someone is annoying me? The answer is I am going to try. And I know I can do all things through Chrsit who strengthens me!

No comments: